Here is a trick that lets you recover your Windows password if you forgot it. That trick works every time for passwords that does not exceed a certain number of characters.
Prerequisites to recover the password
You must have a recent Ubuntu CD. This trick needs at least 1024mb of memory to work until the end. You will need to download the table that match you Windows version
on the ophcrack website and to save in on a USB stick or a external hard drive.
- Boot on the Ubuntu live bootable CD.
- Enable universe repository on ubuntu. (The step asking for the administrator password will be skipped on Ubuntu live CD)
- Open the terminal in the application menu.
- Type sudo apt-get update and press the Enter key.
- Type sudo apt-get install ophcrack and press the Enter key. If you are asked to press Y, do it and press Enter.
- Type ophcrack and press the Enter key.
- Click on Tables.
- Click on Install.
- Open the location where are the table that you downloaded (on the USB key or else).
- The table then becomes green in the selection to indicate that it is ready. Click on OK.
- Click on Load / Encrypted SAM.
- Click on the hard drive on which Windows is installed on the left and open the folder Windows/system32/config.
- Click on Crack. After a few minutes, the password shows on the NT Pwd column.
All steps of this trick in pictures :